+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: HRT effects/timeline

HRT effects/timeline

I'm actually going to ask this question here again just 'cause if people want to look back on it they probably would rather not look at Kaylee's greeting page (or even know to find it there).

Due to my military service, the timeline for HRT and its effects are important. Also if anyone has transitioned on a job that does active drug tests, are the hormones that they put you on flagable?

If it became noticeable that I'm going through this process, I could be sperated from the military, though generally worse comes to worse its an General other than honorable conditions (with a psychological disorder listed).

So the question is, what kind of timeline am I looking at the changes effecting? If I remain rather small chested, what other physical changes might I experience during this transition? Changes in muscular capabilities.

Currently I'm at 215 pounds, 15% body fat, and 5'10". So I'm rather large in terms of muscle, with a small amount of padding. I'll admit I have big legs (Last deployment to Afghanistan I avoided any leg exercises until my upper body made my lower body look pathetic, in 2 months that reversed, so legs are always easy for me to work on).

I have been looking for similar answers, but all I find is "junk" all over the Internet and no real answers. I have been on spirolactone for 2 months and just started 2nd month on estrodial. Not many physical changes... Other than encourage scalp hair growth, although very short and lighter color. It takes longer for body hair to grow back. Softening of skin has started, probably noticeable in the past 2 weeks. No breast change or breast pain as of yet. Almost non existent morning erections (1st 2-3 weeks of Spiro), significant decrease in ejaculation (steady decrease since taking "E"). Metablolism decreased (slower in weight loss). My spouse and I seem closer because of my change in attitude (happier/ contention) and a change in communication ability (feel as if I can talk more freely about my own emotions). I can say that I get anxious if I miss more than one dose of "E". I record my day to day emotions in a diary.

Spirolactone made me super thirsty and constantly urinating when started. Be prepared for a change in the first 2 weeks... After a while your body be be becomes more used to it.

The latest change I have noticed is decreased upper body strength... not by alot, but there is some. No physical changes in appearance.

Well something I'm curious about is during all that muscle mass loss, will there be much weight loss? 'Cause I have a pretty decent muscular build.

From what I understand, you may loose some of the muscle mass. But at the same time, if medically correct, weight may only change slightly due to the differences in weight of muscle versus fat. I have read where leg appearance changes because fat distributes more to the outside of the muscle instead of inside the muscle. It's so hard to find accurate details... BUT... with the exception to breast tissue growth, any changes are able to be reversed when stopping the HRT. Though I have found that since being on HRT, reversal or change is not really a thought anymore. What I worry most about is missing a dose.

My wife is still very unhappy with the possibility of me doing this, and I don't know how to tell the rest of my family. And then there's work, I'm kinda freaking out! But not totally.

I understand completely. I had the unique experience that my wife was the one that encouraged me to take these steps. I guess it was because she saw how unhappy I was, and how I kept feeling the need to be medicated to make my happiness complete. I had blood work done a while back, and it was found that my "T" levels were low, so I was put on a liquid androgel. I hated the way it made me feel. It made me feel that I was "more" not being myself. I had a long history of CD'ing... but the main thing was that I felt like an entirely different person during those times. I would get depressed to go back to my "original" self. My wife never had a problem with it, because most of the time it was something that I did on my own time. My sexual orientation is a little different... because when I am 'enfemme, I am attracted to males more than females... but when I am male, I am more attracted to females (make for interesting conversations, lol).

I kind of got off the subject, but to get back on our discussion... we have talked about the HRT. The main thing that has helped me, was that I started seeing a psychiatrist that had a specialty in gender dysporia. I had several months of therapy, and my Doc told me to invite my wife. We spoke about everything, and laid it all onto the table. This was good, because it started alot of increased communications with my wife. She was quite emotional after the appointment, because that is the same day I started on Spiro. Again, we kept the communication lanes open. I kept with the psych appointments (which has been soooo important to me), and feel that I need this to better myself. We had another one of those conversations when I started on "E". But, the thing is that any changes seem to take such a looonnnngggg time for appearance. Most of the HRT (at least for me) have been an imporved "inner-self". This has helped in the strengthening of our relationship together. We have also talked about what if, when if, etc. I have had to take the position that our love is not just physical, but emotional and mental. We have talked about variations in physical relationships and what "we" could do together. It was alot of difficulty for me, but it is worth it.

Unless you start with alot of cosmetic surgery, there may not be quite as much change as what we would hope for. Now, is this what I think things will be like (physically) in 6 months? I am not sure. All I can do, is do what I can for who I am. It has taken alot to get to admit it to myself.

As far as family, work, etc... the only other family member that knows is my mother. I feel that there is no reason to say anything to anyone else. Until the point to where I think I need to be 100%, and believe in my heart that it is the right thing to do. If you make the decision to start it (to start, so that you can make a determined answer to see if this is you, or that the idea is only what you want), just remember that there are options. For me, I had to look outside of myself... and ask myself the following:

1. If my wife came to me, and said that she wanted to become a man... would I be able to stay with her?
    2. Would I be supportive of her... not because of how people would see me, but because I love her and want only the best for her?
    3. What can I do for her... and not for me?

These may be some of the same questions that she may be feeling for you. Maybe do this exercise... Have the two of you make a list of "Pro's" and "Con's" of you doing your transition. See how many differences there may be. Talk about them, and see what happens. Just remember that what you think and feel right now, will be different within one month of starting. You "may" be able to think more clearly about the feelings you have, which may in turn make it easier to talk about your circumstance with your significant other.

Sorry for this being so long winded, its just a major issue with ALL OF OUR lives.

Its pretty amazing how similar how we approach looking at these things. I've asked those same questions and the pro/con things. Whichever I come up with though, going through it I feel a great sense of anxiety in all the negative things that would come about. And not going through it I feel a depression of letting go of it.

It will all come into focus. I say just give yourself the chance. There will be initial points of Highs and Lows... and it will just come out of the blue, and correct itself out of the blue. Its facinating if you take a positive aproach to the whole process.

Admin? In charge? Mew? Who? Me? Nuh uh! From_Ariel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkissed068 View Post
    I have been looking for similar answers, but all I find is "junk" all over the Internet and no real answers. I have been on spirolactone for 2 months and just started 2nd month on estrodial. Not many physical changes... Other than encourage scalp hair growth, although very short and lighter color. It takes longer for body hair to grow back. Softening of skin has started, probably noticeable in the past 2 weeks. No breast change or breast pain as of yet. Almost non existent morning erections (1st 2-3 weeks of Spiro), significant decrease in ejaculation (steady decrease since taking "E"). Metablolism decreased (slower in weight loss). My spouse and I seem closer because of my change in attitude (happier/ contention) and a change in communication ability (feel as if I can talk more freely about my own emotions). I can say that I get anxious if I miss more than one dose of "E". I record my day to day emotions in a diary.

Spirolactone made me super thirsty and constantly urinating when started. Be prepared for a change in the first 2 weeks... After a while your body be be becomes more used to it.

The latest change I have noticed is decreased upper body strength... not by alot, but there is some. No physical changes in appearance.
    So all of the above I can totally agree is accureate.. but with a few addendums...

1.) If you start younger 16-24 the effect may be much more dramatic and much faster.... 25-35 the results will be slower and more gradual but may still not be much worse 35-45 Much les overall effects then 16-24 but not to much worse then 25-35.... 45+ the results can be less and less but the difrence from one year to the next etc is to hard to call but when compared to someone starting at 16-24 the big diffrences arejust effects of a long life on T (much more pronounced Brow and Jaw, squarer proportions etc.)

2.)Only Soft tissues will change. You may get achy joints and or bones but that is a side effect no actual changes to bone can happen.. You can however prevent future buildup of brow bone etc.

3.) I Noticed tenderness and a slight swelling to my nipple area after only 2 weeks... But.. I will add I was on Estradiol Valerate Injections and those tend to have a more dramatic effect in general. Breast growth from mos 1-3 is almost 100% reversible if you stop taking E. Breast growth from 3-6mos is almost reversible. After 6mos any breast growth will likly be permanent even if you stop. Exact breast growth is hugely effected by age and genetics and other things like drinking or smoking.
    (Make sure you are taking A daily multivitamin and possibly a slimfast too the slimfast is easily digestible vitamins and your body needs them and the protein to grow. Also take a B-complex cuase they aid in processing of estrogen but don't overdo it. Also make sure to Take a Calcium +D pill. Being on medically administered hormones is not as good as natural one of the negatives is increased chance of osteoporosis.)

4.)I don't know why but no-one ever talks about this... But during the first week and or month of HRT you will find yourself crying at the drop of a hat from things you see on TV things around you etc. I don't mean all sad crying either, I found myself crying for this random woman that was so happy to have gotten a free makeover on the today show... afterwards I was like WTF? Why was I so happy i cried for her??

5.)A General breakdown on breast growth...
    1-3 Mos Totally reversable,
    3-6 Mos mostly reversable but very obvious changes when naked.. Not nesscessarly visable under clothes
    6-18 Mos Almost half to 70% of your final breast growth is achieved by now..
    18 Mos to 4 Years Minor additional change to breast growth.
    If your castrated these may go much faster... If your young they may go faster... If you have good genetics they may go faster... The opposite is also true for all three...
    Keep in mind that most persons that begin HRT after Age 25 or so will never get More then a full solid A-cup or a Small B-cup. and will likely only reach Tanner Stage 3 or at best 4. Google taner stages for a more complete verbal description of each stage.
    Spoiler for Tanner Stages NSFW!:

6.)Muscle build and shape... Some upper body strength will be felt lost in the first year but it's only occasionally noticable. After about 4 Years your general Shape of the muscle tone will change to something more feminine. (Softer rounder curves shoulders etc.)

7.)Caloric Intake!!! You will need to Eat less and eat more carefully.. Testosterone runs a body on a much higher rate then estrogen. As Such men can and will burn through more calories and store less fat then women. If you continue to eat the exact same portions and or types of foods YOU WILL gain weight.

8.)Strange Cravings.. Your body will be in a growth cycle and it will try to tell you if it thinks your not eating right. See my above suggestions on vitamins and slimfast.. I had a period of like a month where for some reason I was constantly craving brown rice any way you cook it even white rice in a pinch but RICE! It was weird...

9.)If your on the right dosages Spontaneous erections should almost entirely stop after the first 3-6 mos. Now by Spontaneous I mean the uncontrolled kind... You should stil be able to masturbate if you want to but it will be slightly more diffacult.. Also I can say that After several years on HRT my Orgasms have seriously changed... They are slower more kinda pulsing and tickling..

10.)Ill add a ten when I can think of it... I'm tired so i need to nap... If i wrote anything extremely weird here chock it upto me being up to long.. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Be yourself! Love who you are!

Those that Matter don't Mind.
    Those that Mind don't Matter.
    --Ariel (Admin www.TransgenderBeauty.com)

"If you want to do something big in your life, you must remember that shyness is only the mind,"
    "If you think shy, you act shy. If you think confident you act confident. Therefore never let shyness conquer your mind."

-- Arfa Karim Randhawa (10 years old)
    Spoiler for Click to show useful Links & Resources:

Standards of care for TG/TS (this is the rules and guidelines any reputable doctor or surgeon follows this has all the requirements in it.)
    http://www.wpath.org/documents2/socv6.pdf

Lynn Conways Gallery of transsexual Successes

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conw...Sgallery1.html

Lynn Conways Gender and TS/TG basics Primer
    http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/TS.html

Susans.org This is one of the oldest and best general resources for information of all kinds re: transition. Additionally it's 100% non-Profit and staffed by volunteers that care about the community. I have been a member for a long time and can highly suggest their resources. Also their chat room is 100% supportive and caring and one of the only TG/TS chats I regularly visit.
    http://www.susans.org/
    http://wiki.susans.org/index.php/Main_Page
    http://www.susans.org/reference/index.html
    http://www.susans.org/chat/index.html

TS/TG Roadmap My disclaimer below aside, there really is some good info here but IMHO don't buy anything from them. Anything they sell can be gotten free from other people or other sites.

(for the record I don't endorse or suggest you buy anything from this site or it's owner IMHO she is a profiteer that is literally making a living out of selling stuff to the community. If She really wanted to help like she says she does she would be providing things like the voice training videos free of charge via you tube not charging upto 20-50$ for them! I know hosting a website can cost lots of money but she could ask for donations to help fund the site also. Instead she lives in a huge house very comfortably off the money she gets from us...)
    http://www.tsroadmap.com/index.html

Hey I appreciate it, that's a lot of awesome information. Feel sad about already being older than 24 tho Then again nothing is so serious that FFS wont change it, but I guess that goes with its own risks.

+ Reply to Thread